Monday, July 6, 2009

Journal # 8

This journal is called "Promoting Equity with Digital Video" by Randy Yerrick, Donna Ross, and Philip Molebash.  In this article the three authors discuss the different ways that digital videos can enhance the learning process.  As soon as I saw this article I immediately thought about the video project we did here in our class.  I know for a fact that the video project can enhance learning, because it sure enhanced mine.  I have learned from first-hand experience that this article is true.  Something else the article promotes is the idea that through the digital video, we can reach a more equal classroom.  White, middle-class males are often favored when it comes to communicating in written and oral tests.  Well with this addition of the video project, teachers and other officials are hoping for a more equal chance within the classroom.  With the video project, students don't have to speak in the video.  They can be imaginative and creative.  I know in the video that I made, no one spoke.  All you could hear was the sound of the music I put in the background.  Any student of any ethnicity and race could have put that together.  That is the point of equity the authors are talking about.

Question 1:  How does this promote equity?
The video project is a great way to promote equity in the classroom.  Like I was saying before, a student does not need to talk when filming a project.  It ultimately becomes their choice whether or not to actually talk in the film.  If they want to create an emotional piece they can add a song and appeal to everyone.  The video project allows the student to be creative as well as feel on the same level as the other students in the classroom.  I still think there will come a point when something else becomes unfair and we will have to scratch the video project.

Question 2:  Why is it that a video project makes things equal?
I think that the video project makes things equal mainly because you do not have to read anything or speak in the film.  This puts everyone on an equal basis and will allow each student to feel on the same page.  I don't think any other project would be as effective when it comes to equality in the classroom.  Written projects wouldn't work, and neither would projects based on an oral presentation.  In my opinion the video project is the best effective way to promote equity in the classroom.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting. I didn't think much about equity and video project. I'll find a time to read this article.

    Equity and social justice is a big theme in the COE. As you go through your credential program, you'll have the opportunity to enhance your understanding of this issue.

    R-J

    ReplyDelete