Friday, June 12, 2009

Journal # 2

The second journal for this week is titled "Social Networking for the K - 12 Set" written by Jim Klein. This article discussed the importance of learning through the different uses of technology. Some examples of technological tools Klein uses are podcasts, wikis, and video examples. All of which are forms of technology that we have been learning about and talking about in class. One section that I thought was very interesting was the part of the Student Community site. Klein explains that there are children as young as the second grade who are working with these new ways of technology. I immediately thought about how these kids will grow up in a world completely different than mine. I still remember pencils and paper and learning how to write in cursive. Now the second graders and reading textbooks online and collaborating with fellow classmates with the stroke of a key. It's ridiculous! I like the idea of the older students using these forms of technology, but I'm not so sure how I feel about the second graders. I guess we'll just have to see what they turn out to be like in ten years. One thing I do like is the fact that these technologies are creating different forms of online communitites. We learn that a major factor in a childs development is whether or not they feel a sense of belonging. I think that with these technologies, all students will equally feel as if they belong to the same community. Finally, Klein ends the article writing about not fearing these Web 2.0 tools. With the proper oversight and management these online communities and learning environments should stay solid.

Question 1: Are Wikis an effective way to aquire knowledge?

Yes, wikis are a very effective way of aquiring knowledge. With wikis, students can participate with the same discussion at the same time. I believe this can only work properly with the right kind of online management. Done correctly, wikis can be a powerful tool when it comes to learning online. I wish we used this method more when I was in high school. I can't wait to get in the classroom and begin to implement the use of the wiki. I have a feeling the students will respond in a positive manner. Wikis make the class feel as if they belong to a community based with their school. The imagination is endless when you think of the possibility a wiki can have on knowledge in the classroom.

Question 2: Are there any drawbacks to online learning tools?

I believe so. One major concern is the authenticity of the work done. Like I said before, wikis are a great tool for learning, but who is to say that the student is the one really doing the work. Having work being done online at home is more risky than watching the student doing the same work in the classroom. Who is to say that the student isn't having his/her parent doing the online assignment for them while they are outside causing trouble. And who is to say that this is really Jacob English doing his assignment. Maybe I am his mother who is working hard to ensure my son receives an A. You will never know because this is all done online. This is the drawback I see with technological tools in the classroom.

1 comment:

  1. Indeed, on the Internet, "nobody knows you're a dog." (I forgot who said so). If you're interested in a critique on online learning, read professor Hubert Dreyfus' book: On the Internet.

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0415228077/qid=1081560506/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/103-2449398-6623053

    ReplyDelete